MAX16818: 1.5MHz, 30A High-Efficiency, LED Driver with Rapid LED Current Pulsing
The MAX16818 pulse-width modulation (PWM) LED driver controller provides high-output-current capability in a compact package with a minimum number of external components. The MAX16818 is suitable for use in synchronous and nonsynchronous step-down (buck) topologies, as well as in boost, buck-boost, SEPIC, and Cuk LED drivers. The MAX16818 is the first LED driver controller that enables Maxim’s technology for fast LED current transients of up to 20A/μs and 30kHz dimming frequency.
This device utilizes average-current-mode control that enables optimal use of MOSFETs with optimal charge and on-resistance characteristics. This results in the minimized need for external heatsinking even when delivering up to 30A of LED current. True differential sensing enables accurate control of the LED current. A wide dimming range is easily implemented to accommodate an external PWM signal. An internal regulator enables operation over a wide input voltage range: 4.75V to 5.5V or 7V to 28V and above with a simple external biasing device. The wide switching frequency range, up to 1.5MHz, allows for the use of small inductors and capacitors.
The MAX16818 features a clock output with 180° phase delay to control a second out-of-phase LED driver to reduce input and output filter capacitors size or to minimize ripple currents. The MAX16818 offers programmable hiccup, overvoltage, and overtemperature protection.
The MAX16818ETI+ is rated for the extended temperature range (-40°C to +85°C) and the MAX16818ATI+ is rated for the automotive temperature range (-40°C to +125°C). This LED driver controller is available in a lead-free, 0.8mm high, 5mm x 5mm 28-pin TQFN package with exposed paddle.
- High-Current LED Driver Controller IC, Up to 30A Output Current
- Average-Current-Mode Control
- True-Differential Remote-Sense Input
- 4.75V to 5.5V or 7V to 28V Input Voltage Range
- Programmable Switching Frequency or External Synchronization from 125kHz to 1.5MHz
- Clock Output for 180° Out-of-Phase Operation
- Integrated 4A Gate Drivers
- Output Over-voltage and Hiccup Mode Over-current Protection
- Thermal Shutdown
- Thermally Enhanced 28-Pin Thin QFN Package
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature Range
- Portable and Pocket Projectors
- LCD TVs and Display Backlight
- Front Projectors/Rear Projection TVs
- Automotive, Bus/Truck Exterior Lighting
- Automotive Emergency Lighting and Signage
The MAX16818 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested surface-mount printed-circuit board (PCB) designed to evaluate the MAX16818 pulse-width modulation (PWM) LED driver controller in a buck-boost configuration.
|Part Number||# of Outputs||Current||Voltage In||Voltage Out|
|MAX16818||1||30000||7V - 28V||0V|